Sunday, October 15, 2017

Week 6: Oct. 9th-15th (Albufeira, Portugal)

Buenas, amigos! Another way to say "Hola" here is "Buenas." It doesn't directly translate to anything, but it's a way of greeting someone. So... this week has been one of my favorites weeks. I unfortunately was sick last Sunday and chose to take the day to relax and do absolutely nothing. Monday, I was feeling better and therefore I was proud of myself for actually resting and not pushing it. However,  I felt even worse than I did on Sunday later on in the week. But I pushed through. Sometimes medicine, especially for colds, really does help. On Tuesday, there was an intercambio event through my program, ISA, and it was such a great experience! They treated us to drinks at a nearby coffee shop and we were able to meet quite a few more Spaniards so we could practice Spanish and they could practice their English. We were there for a long time just chatting away. When you lose track of time talking, especially when there is a language barrier, you know you have good company around you. I think it helped that there was a group of us so there wasn't as much pressure, compared to if it was just one on one. On Wednesday, our sports psychology teacher told our class that he had gotten 10 tickets to a fútbol (soccer) game for that night. The game started at 10pm and it was going to be a competitive game because it was Sevilla versus Cádiz, who is a big rival of theirs. Cádiz is a small beach town about an hour and a half south and a little west of Sevilla. Although I am not familiar with all the rules of soccer, we had a fantastic time at the game since we were surrounded by locals. There was a lot of chanting that took place and it reminded me of high school--but I loved it. There was so much team spirit! We had an interesting time getting into the stadium because the security guards were impossible to understand because they spoke so fast and asked us strange questions. For example, they asked us how old we were. We still don't know why. They were just questions that were completely unexpected. Then also, they allowed me to bring in a water bottle but they threw away the cap. But it was already full...so I could've had whatever fluid I wanted in there...so it just didn't make sense to me. Then, when we went inside, we could pick our seats but we were trying to save seats for a pretty big group. I'm sure it wasn't appropriate but the stadium was filling up fast so we put our legs up on the seats to reserve them. We are definitely Americans. I saw a couple of Spaniards mimicking us though so maybe they thought it was a good idea and we started a new trend! We stayed for the whole game and it ended up being a tie. It was crazy to me how late the game started but that's just how Spain is.

So Thursday (October 12th) was a holiday in Spain and therefore, we didn't have classes. Some of my friends and I took the opportunity to go to Portugal for the weekend.  I went with two of my friends from the ISA program, Mary Jo from Georgia and Juanita from Arizona. We went to Albuferia (good luck pronouncing that...I can't, no matter how hard I try). We found really cheap bus tickets and then a cheap Airbnb, as well. The apartment we stayed in had a hammock on the balcony. We had two balconies and a supermarket downstairs. So the first thing we did when we got there was buy snacks from the supermarket and sit on that balcony and watch the sun go down over the city past the mountains way out in the distance. Then, we went to dinner later that night and that is when we realized that the city life in Portugal is so much different than we are used to in Sevilla. First of all, there were no people out. We went to the "strip" where all the restaurants and bars and tourism was...supposedly. However, it was seriously empty. If there were people, they just stared at us. We were very confused. However, we found a nice restaurant with really yummy food. Then, we explored the strip more and found that more towards the beach, there were more people. And that is when our night really began. I can't even explain to you how much fun I had. We found a bar where there were old couples dancing to modern club music and it made my day. When I am 70-years-old, I hope I can boogie as well as these people could. I ended up meeting many, wonderful people this night, as well. MJ and I had nicknames for just about every one of them. There was the Ginger, Hollish, bodyguards, and then Callum, Jim and their friends. This post would be so long if I tried to explain all that took place, so just take my word for it...it was probably one of my favorite "nights-out" in my life. Another difference from Sevilla, because Sevilla is so big and difficult to get around in late at night so it's hard to go out. At least in my experience so far. Well, the next day, we went to the beach. Now, I have had a realization lately. I don't really like the beach... I don't like sand everywhere, the sun burning my skin, and laying on the hard, hot sand. I don't like the water and walking in the ocean where there are creatures. Therefore, there is not much about the beach that would seem appealing. However, the atmosphere and idea of going to a place where there is a beach is exciting and is the ultimate definition of a vacation for me. And so I figured out what I like about beaches. I like when there are rocks and caves and adventures. That's what this beach in Portugal was like. We had our own private alcove, if you will, that was surrounded by rocks and it was just wonderful. I'll post some pictures in the blog, but I know it won't do it justice. I think we took over 250 photos, though, so hopefully there are a couple that can give you an idea of how much fun we had. We spent pretty much all afternoon there and then headed back home in the evening. That night, we decided to have dinner at a Chinese restaurant. We never really figured out what Portuguese food is--and also the language is very strange. But anyway, the food was good, but we had a show during dinner. There were fights breaking out at 10pm. "Toto, we aren't in Spain anymore," we said to ourselves as we saw people getting drunk as early as 10pm. In Spain, people don't drink like that until midnight or later (another difference)... But, we also realized through all of this how attractive Portuguese cops are. Anyway, MJ (Mary Jo) and I told ourselves to keep our expectations low for that night because we had had so much fun the night before, there was no way we could have two amazing nights in a row. Let me tell you, ladies and gentlemen, it is possible. We had another FANTASTIC night out. We found our friends again--all of them including: the Ginger, Hollish, bodyguards, Callum, Jim and friends. Side note, who is Hollish and bodyguards you might ask? Well, that is our deep dark secret and I cannot tell you....unless you ask me. :) Okay, so before we met all our friends, we did something kind of crazy. So there are tons and tons of bars along this so called strip. Some are super duper crowded and others are completely empty. Well, MJ and I decided we wanted to go into all the empty bars and just dance and have the time of our lives. That is exactly what we did. One of the bars that was empty had a live feed on a TV outside the bar. And it was an open bar so as people walked by, they could see we were the only ones inside. We did not care. Not one bit. We seriously had the best time dancing on that dance floor all by ourselves, without a care in the world. The rest of the night only continued to get better and, no matter how hard I try to explain it, I never will be able to come up with words effective enough to describe our night. It just has to forever live inside of me. Thank the Lord for memories, right? Let's just say we didn't get home until 4:30am and I already had more than 12,000 steps on top of the 25,000+ I had before the clock switched to midnight. (Aka, lots of dancing was involved with this night). Oh man. It was such a great weekend. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. I'm pretty sure that's why MJ and my abs were so sore on Saturday. We rode the bus back on Saturday so we could have Sunday in Sevilla and I'm so glad we did. 


Today (Sunday the 16th) was super fun as well. I got to go with my host parents to a pueblo outside the city called Salteras. I think if I lived in Spain, I would live outside the city. It was such a wonderful little town and it reminded me more of home because it had big restaurants like I am used to. The one we went to today reminds me of the Italian restaurant Maggiano's that I go to in Colorado. It was a Spanish version of Magginao's, I guess. But it was so delicious and I was able to relax and have a great time with my host parents. I also love when we use the car because it reminds me of home, as well, since Americans drive everywhere in the U.S. My host mom is learning/practicing her driving. Let's just say I am glad for seat belts--no, really, she's a great driver though. 


Well, it's time to get back into the swing of things. Carly was gone all week in Morocco but now she's back and my mini vacation is over. I dread Mondays no matter what country I'm in, I suppose. I am getting ready to prepare for midterms. I have three in a row on Wednesday (please pray for me) and then another one Thursday. Then a midterm paper, among other assignments, due next week. But if I can get through this week, I leave on Friday for Granada and Cordoba which I know is going to be an awesome trip. Bueno. Thanks for reading! I had a lot to share but I wanted to write it all down before I forget. Have a great week everyone and I shall write again soon! Hasta luego. 



My adorable host mom!


The outside of the restaurant like "Maggiano's"


Mis 3 amigos in Portugal




The caves were so cool!


Me pretending to be Ariel from the Little Mermaid..dreams do come true




The rocks were very slippery..



Our little alcove! There was a water barrier so only the brave dared to enter...


You always have to have the handstand pic


Meet "Ginger." Did I mention he's British? He's got the cutest accent...



We found an American diner...
Of course Elvis belongs inside the diner...


Sevilla vs. Cádiz fútbol game

No comments:

Post a Comment