Sunday, October 8, 2017

Week 5: Oct. 2nd-8th

Hi! It is Sunday...which means that tomorrow is Monday, and that means another week is here. This weekend was my last weekend in Seville before I start traveling every weekend until the second weekend in November. Whew, that was a lot of the word "weekend" in one sentence. Then, I travel three more weekends in a row after that one weekend off which takes me to the beginning of December where I start preparing for finals. Time is about to start flying. I am going to Albuferia, Portugal, Granada and Cordoba, Paris, then Morocco. I get one week in Seville then to Lisbon, Portugal, Naples and Rome, and finally Amsterdam. Since I'm here, I have to travel! My goal is to hit 10 different countries.

So, this week seemed to go pretty fast. It is STILL 90 degrees every day and, therefore, I can't tell you how excited I am for the weather to change. I like the sun, but if it could be 20 degrees cooler, that would be great. This past week was the first week of October! The first of October marked the day for the vote to take place on whether Cataluña can become its own country apart from Spain. It passed and as of tomorrow, October 9th, Cataluña, which includes Barcelona, will not be a part of Spain anymore. This is all the media has talked about for the past three weeks. It is a big deal though, so I understand that. I'm sure you've seen some of the violence and protests that have taken place in Barcelona if you watch the news often. It fascinates me to be here during such a memorable year. It also amazes me that, if I was in America, I would have nowhere near the knowledge of what is taking place compared to how much I am hearing about it now. Spain is a very divided country already, but this is a whole new level. I am interested in seeing what will happen in a couple of months. 


This week was full of coffee shop visits, school, kayaking, getting my hair done, and resting. I have found a couple of cafes that I like, but I refuse to get hot coffee when it is 95 degrees outside. Therefore, I have been indulging in the fresh fruit smoothies. They are quite delicious! My classes have been pretty good. I really am enjoying my Communications and Media in the Digital Age class, especially with all that is happening in Cataluña. The media definitely has strong power to influence our society. So I also went kayaking this week. Man, it is hard work. But we did it in the evening and it was so very pretty! We got pretty dang wet, but after sweating in this heat all week, I wasn't complaining. Then, I got my hair done this week! I was nervous to do anything to my hair while I was here, but I needed a trim and my highlights were looking very bad. I did some research on words used in a "Peluquería" (hair salon) and then took a chance. My appointment lasted almost 4 hours. My peluquero (hair dresser [P.S. I had to look up that word because I knew it in Spanish, but not in English...uh-oh.]) was very nice and he loved my hair. He told me, "Tu pelo es maravilloso." (Your hair is marvelous.) I thought to myself, "It isn't going to be marvelous after you're done with it" because he wouldn't leave it alone! But, he alternated dark and light highlights so my hair could look as natural as possible and then trimmed my hair also. He had a little too much fun giving me layers (I hate layers) but I figured they will grow... so I am not too upset. I love the way it turned out! It's definitely a lot darker than before but I think it'll look great for winter time. I also met with my intercambio, Eduardo, for the second time. He seems so young to me (he's 18--but in boy years, that's 15), but it is interesting to hear him talk and to learn about his culture. He is from Granada so we are both figuring out Seville together whenever we meet up. Another thing I was able to do this week is visit two different rooftop bars. The views were incredible. This city is massive and I feel like I find new places, new streets, and new restaurants every single week. One last thing, last night I was walking home on the main street in downtown Seville and there were people passing out Biblias Gratis (Free Bibles) in Spanish. My friend Mary Jo and I were so excited--they have probably never seen two young, white girls so excited to get a free Bible. 


Other than those few things, my week wasn't super eventful. I guess I'm settling in more now and can officially say it feels like I live here. I am enjoying the "down" time. I have been back and forth with it. At first, I was so excited for it because I never get down time in Colorado during school. Then, I was super upset because I felt like I was a loser who had no life. Now, I am enjoying doing things I don't normally have time to do. I'm listening to podcasts, watching movies, talking with friends, spending a thorough amount of time reading my reading homework (like I usually should) and I still have extra time for naps and relaxing. I keep telling myself I better enjoy it while it lasts... which is exactly what I plan to do!


Have a great week and enjoy your fall weather/snow/cool temperatures. I'm starting to miss the United States, but I am also so very thankful I am here. Hasta luego, mis amigos. 







I'm bummed the picture is dark, but I was able to climb on top of the kayaks and take a picture. The bridge behind me is called the Triana Bridge. I have posted pictures of it before--it is the beautiful one that gets lit up at night.




My free Spanish Bible!!




I found a gluten free peanut butter, chocolate cake pastry. I was so excited.




Could the streets be any narrower? 


Highly debating going skydiving...but I haven't told my parents yet...
The lit-up cathedral is behind me. This was taken from a rooftop bar.





My new hair!!

No comments:

Post a Comment