Saturday, August 19, 2017

~Semana Tres (Ya?!*)~

  *Ya = "Already" in Spanish
 
Hi everyone! Hope you all had a great week. This week flew by! It was my last week of language class and I am actually really sad it’s over. It was a really cool and fun class. There were two Indonesians, two Italians, two Chinese, and then three of us Americans in the class. And then the teachers were so very sweet! On Friday--yesterday--we took a field trip to the Mercado. It is similar to a farmer’s market but then there is fish and meat and fruit and vegetables and pretty much everything you could ask for when it comes to fresh (and I mean really fresh) food. We had a paper with a list of questions and types of food that we had to list which forced us to ask “los españoles” questions to practice using our Spanish in 'real life.' We were in groups and it was fun to interact with the Spaniards. One of the ladies we talked to who was working there was so nice and eager to help us. I should’ve asked for her name and taken a picture of her because she was so cute and "amable" (kind)...oh well. But, I was content at the end of the day because I had three or four people tell me that my Spanish has improved so much since the first day of class. It was encouraging but it also pushed me to want to work even harder because I still have a long way to go. For example, I have had two people stop me in the street to ask me for directions. I must look like a really nice person. 😇 Anyway, the first time, when these men asked me where a certain beach was--I just said “No se, no se, lo siento.” (I don’t know, I don’t know, I’m sorry.) That was probably two weeks ago. This second time, it was a really sweet lady and I understood part of it, but the problem is Spaniards speak muy rápido (really fast) and, if I’m caught off guard, my brain isn’t ready to process it. However!! I understood more than I have in the past and, as I started to give her directions, I asked her a question to clarify and it was apparent I had an American accent and so she goes “Lo siento” and touches me all compassionately and walked on. That is how it is here if I’m not talking to my host family or teacher. They automatically think I can’t speak the language and don’t give me a chance. One of these times, I’m going to have the guts to tell them I actually speak Spanish and that I just need them to slow down a little. A little more practice and I will be better for sure. Although it's hard to give directions even in my native language when I don't know the city. But to my great surprise, I am really enjoying learning in Spanish and I literally cannot stay away from the language. I want to continue learning it and continue to live here and take classes here, especially because I feel like I am finally falling into a ritual. And of course, now it’s time to leave. But that is why I’m really happy I’m going on to study in Sevilla and also that I’ll be there for four times as long as I was here, yet I am now disappointed that my classes won’t be in Spanish in Sevilla. ← I never thought I would say that.


I swear time is twice as fast here as it is in America. I had my midterm test for my culture class on Monday and I have my final this Friday. I’m learning a lot about the history of Spain in that class. Then I’m also taking a composition class in Spanish, so my schedule is full. On Thursday, the Denver group went to the “Palacio de Magdalena.” It was so very beautiful. It’s a really close walk from my house and it’s located on a peninsula that overlooks the city and the sea and the town of Somo, which is on the other side of Santander. The history of the palace is very fascinating and they also had penguins outside!!!! I was definitely in my happy place. However, it was on that excursion that we heard about the terrorist attacks in Barcelona. Last weekend, we were planning a trip to Barcelona, but then we decided to stay in Santander because we are only here for a short amount of time and we wanted to enjoy everything this city has to offer. I am also going there with Amanda in about a week and a half so it seemed wiser to stay here anyway. It makes me so sad for those families who lost someone. The attack wasn’t very close to here but I think we are all so used to being in America, where we don’t even have to think about terrorist attacks. Here, it is different. There are terrorist attacks happening all around Europe. But my teacher told us, there is no place in the world that is safe. And that is true. Even in America--and so that’s why I think none of us should take our lives for granted but we should strive to enjoy every single moment.


I am really learning a lot about classes--about the language, about history, and about myself. Although I don’t think I notice it all the time, I am having to make decisions and do things I wouldn’t normally have to. My “routine” is out of place and because of that, life is different so I am going to be different. The thing that’s tough for me to comprehend is that I’m changing at 10mph, for example, where I think everyone who’s life is the same right now is only changing at 5mph. And that’s how life works. We all have different periods in our lives where our level of change speeds up or slows down and it’s hard to hold on to people that are going at a different pace than me. I am learning the value of true friendships and how important my relationship with Jesus is because He’s one person that will always be by my side. So no matter how I feel, I am not alone. And I believe there will always be great people in my life, too. My host family has been amazing and I have also met some really sweet people on this trip. As I was contemplating all this and more on my walked home the other day, I was listening to the song “Details” by Sarah Reeves. This is one of the verses:
You map the road of my traveling
You never let go, no, You're here with me
In every high, low and in between
You are my one and only consistency
And this is the chorus:
You know me better than I know myself
Your ways are higher than anything else
You have the plan far beyond all my wildest dreams
Just like You paint the fiery skies
You chose the color of my eyes
From the start until the end of time
You're in the details, You're in the details


If you get a chance, I really encourage you to listen to it. It’s an accurate depiction of my life right now. God knows me better than I know myself and He is mapping the road of my traveling and so, I’m not going to worry and you shouldn’t either, because God’s got this.


Next week is going to be a crazy busy week with lots of excursions and class and events taking place, so I’m sure I’ll have a lot to tell you guys next week too. :) Have a fabulous weekend and I’ll talk to you all soon! Hasta la próxima (until next time)!

This is a mansion that's really close to my house. It's really pretty but spooky at night...


PENGUINS!!!!!


"La foca" - a seal


The water is so pretty here!

"Comedor" - dining room in the palace

The sitting room of the palace. It reminded me of Darcy's house in Pride and Prejudice for some reason.

This is me getting in trouble because our tour guide thought I wanted to play it, not just take a picture...whoops.


The outside of the palace.




My host mom's daughter, Daniella, and a French exchange student who was here for the week!

A cup of chocolate with some gluten free cookies. Don't mind if I do.

This is my school here. It's called UIMP but it's pronounced "Weimp"


This was the "mercado." Was there a strong fish smell? Yes. Did I survive? Barely...



This is the grandson of my host mom.


1 comment: